Live with It

Yesterday, I made my way through Dulles Airport for the fifteen-billionth time.

You may recognize Dulles for it's magnificent Frank Lloyd Wright curved facade -- or for the "Star Wars" looking people movers that shuttle individuals between the airport's terminals.

Dulles airport has been undergoing significant renovation that seems to be taking a decade. As a result, the customer experience at Dulles Airport stinks!

Ridiculously bad security line queing seems to be a primary welcome point for the customer. This was recently transitioned from white-shirted TSA employees to yellow-shirted Airport Authority staff, who evidently specialize in bottlenecking, gum-chewing, dull-eyed glances and confusion.

For travelers headed to the recently renovated B-gates, Dulles offers a NEW 1/4 mile (plus) underground walkway, featuring regularly broken people movers and frozen escalators. There is one people-mover for transportation to terminal B every 15-20 minutes. It's across the hall, down two levels, around in a back corner -- there are no posted signs for this shuttle! Otherwise, there is no public transportation between security (and within) the B Terminal for the physically challenged, exhausted or those traveling with children.

Don't get me started on baggage delays.

No wonder my grandma won't visit me anymore!

Unfortunately, unless I select an alternate airport or mode of transportation, I do have to live with it...

Fortunately, I can live with it! I'm blessed with a reasonable amount of patience, and arms of steel that can tug luggage on marathon journeys. I’ve got good cardiovascular endurance, and the ability to strut on high heels for amazingly long distances.

It occurs to me, that many people can't live with it. I'm guessing, however, that because the cumulative impact cannot be readily measured, this probably makes no difference to the Airport Authority or the airlines.

We can't always measure the cost of forcing people to live with bad customer experience, but this shouldn't interfere with fixing glaringly obvious problems. Beyond ethics, it's stupid to beat up your customers!

Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way with companies that have a monopoly on service ... and I guess we'll have to live with that.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

POST HISTORY

RECENT COMMENTS

SEARCH

CONNECT

TwitterLinkedInYouTubePosterousFacebook G+

LEIGH DURST

LEIGH DURST
I’m Leigh Durst, a 20 year veteran in business, operations, customer strategy, ecommerce, digital & social media and marketing. Simply put, I’m a strategist that helps companies (start-up to blue chip) achieve business shift, create more compelling online and offline experiences. I also write, speak and teach about experience design and next-generation business. I’m a futurist, visionary, strategist, doer and connector with a passion for people and helping others. When I’m not on the road, you’ll find me in the San Francisco bay area, working, beaching it and hanging out with my family and dog.

NEW! FEATURED IN

NEW!  FEATURED IN
The Customer Experience Edge

CO-AUTHOR OF

CO-AUTHOR OF
Age of Conversation 3 - Get yours now in hardcover, paperback and for the Kindle.

CONTRIBUTOR TO

CONTRIBUTOR TO
Web Redesign: Workflow that Works