Free: Not Always a Good Price

I'm a true fan of free web content when it's high quality. I find value coming out of sites like Marketing Profs.com and Marketing Sherpa all the time - as well as several blogs listed on my resource page. However, there are days when I get what I pay for.

For example, I recently listened to an archived, free Webinar called "Speak and Get Results: Maximizing Your Impact During Webcasts" offered by a popular site on the web. The speaker, 25-year executive coaching veteran with a PhD in Psychology, seemed to promise alot. So, I came in with high expectations. However, his delivery was very disappointing:

  • Poor Preparation
         --> Stopped midstream to ask moderator how to advance slides
         --> Had to silence his own ringing cell phone midstream
  • Bad Visuals
         --> Boring text/graphics in "mud" tones
         --> Featured FIVE slides of pictures of himself(!?)
  • Poor Audience Engagement
         --> Drifted off verbally - seemed to be multitasking on something?
         --> Tonality seemed a little patronizing - lots of simple repetition
         --> Encouraged us to "watch the audience response" - during a webcast?
  • Missing Stuff
         --> Not specific to web-based speaking/presentation
         --> No summary of prescribed action or steps to take
         --> No provision of helpful resources or checklists
  • Apparent "hairball"
         --> Easy to get a tickle when you're talking... but please excuse yourself when you hack repeatedly !

    Ultimately, the elements above damaged his delivery as well as my experience. I couldn't help but think, "Maybe he had a bad day, poor guy!" So, in interest of fairness, I reloaded the audio and listened to the entire presentation - beginning to end. While he had some decent points about enunciation, tone, and breathing, I still wouldn't recommend the webinar and had great trouble sitting through it.

    Afterward, I did a little thinking and decided to put together my own list of best practices for effective web-based presentation... Now, I'm no PhD... just a chick that's thinking out loud. This is definitely free advice, so be warned that may only be worth what you pay for it. ;-)

    Wonderful image is courtesty of a young artist from public school district 68 in Nainamo, British Columbia.
  • 1 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    LOL. I tried to listen to this presentation, also. I couldn't make it through 12 minutes. - AD

    Post a Comment

    POST HISTORY

    RECENT COMMENTS

    SEARCH

    CONNECT

    TwitterLinkedInYouTubePosterousFacebook G+

    LEIGH DURST

    LEIGH DURST
    I’m Leigh Durst, a 20 year veteran in business, operations, customer strategy, ecommerce, digital & social media and marketing. Simply put, I’m a strategist that helps companies (start-up to blue chip) achieve business shift, create more compelling online and offline experiences. I also write, speak and teach about experience design and next-generation business. I’m a futurist, visionary, strategist, doer and connector with a passion for people and helping others. When I’m not on the road, you’ll find me in the San Francisco bay area, working, beaching it and hanging out with my family and dog.

    NEW! FEATURED IN

    NEW!  FEATURED IN
    The Customer Experience Edge

    CO-AUTHOR OF

    CO-AUTHOR OF
    Age of Conversation 3 - Get yours now in hardcover, paperback and for the Kindle.

    CONTRIBUTOR TO

    CONTRIBUTOR TO
    Web Redesign: Workflow that Works