Experience Your Doom?

You know, up until yesterday, I was thinking that I'd like to do a piece on JetBlue experience. I like the service, blue snacks, comfy seats, low prices, and satellite TV..... but here is an experience I could live without!

Jet Blue Passengers Watch Live Video of Equipment Problems

LOS ANGELES (AP) The airliner circled Southern California for hours, crippled by a faulty landing gear, while inside its cabin 140 passengers watched their own life-and-death drama unfolding on live television.

While satellite TV sets aboard JetBlue Flight 292 were tuned to news broadcasts, some passengers cried. Others tried to telephone relatives and one woman sent a text message to her mother in Florida attempting to comfort her in the event she died.

"It was very weird. It would've been so much calmer without" the televisions, Pia Varma of Los Angeles said after the plane skidded to a safe landing Wednesday evening in a stream of sparks and burning tires.
Click here for the full story

Today's live media capability makes it possible for us to experience tragedies as they unfold. We experienced this with live coverage in the Gulf War. We watched in horror as we watched the Towers Fall. And we shared the pain of individuals as disaster unfolded in the Gulf states. The idea that we could watch our own demise unfold in front of us on live television is, well, a little too much experience for me...

Photo - courtesy of Fox News

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I disagree. The crew had the choice of turning off the satellite tv coverage and chose to leave it on until prior to landing (passengers did not watch that). This helped keep the passengers informed - as I know I would want to be. I have heard nothing but good things about how Jet Blue handled this mechanical failure and saw many interviews with passengers saying they would fly Jet Blue again. I have flown Jet Blue myself and will again. I just wish they had more routes!!!

Unknown said...

Hey there, Thanks for the post. I would also fly Jet Blue again, so I think you missed my point:

What I can live without is the experience of watching my own demise on national television. :-) Doesn't have anything to do with Jet Blue ... more to do with personal preference.

Cheers! Leigh

Post a Comment

POST HISTORY

RECENT COMMENTS

SEARCH

CONNECT

TwitterLinkedInYouTubePosterousFacebook G+

LEIGH DURST

LEIGH DURST
I’m Leigh Durst, a 20 year veteran in business, operations, customer strategy, ecommerce, digital & social media and marketing. Simply put, I’m a strategist that helps companies (start-up to blue chip) achieve business shift, create more compelling online and offline experiences. I also write, speak and teach about experience design and next-generation business. I’m a futurist, visionary, strategist, doer and connector with a passion for people and helping others. When I’m not on the road, you’ll find me in the San Francisco bay area, working, beaching it and hanging out with my family and dog.

NEW! FEATURED IN

NEW!  FEATURED IN
The Customer Experience Edge

CO-AUTHOR OF

CO-AUTHOR OF
Age of Conversation 3 - Get yours now in hardcover, paperback and for the Kindle.

CONTRIBUTOR TO

CONTRIBUTOR TO
Web Redesign: Workflow that Works